Post sponsored by Bob’s Red Mill. See under for extra particulars.
The first couple of weeks after having a child had been fascinating. I wished to prepare dinner however on the similar time I used to be exhausted and determining every part new that got here with motherhood. Luckily my mother was right here, procuring and cooking for us. My first request she made: her do-it-yourself mac and cheese. I craved consolation meals and he or she delivered. After that, I got down to have a small arsenal of recipes to make for brand new dad and mom. Enchiladas, pasta bakes, and recent salads are my go-to however just lately I’ve been taking part in extra with whole-grain bakes, like this zucchini bake. Grains maintain up effectively over time, and hearty, and work effectively with a myriad of greens and sauces.
To make this zucchini bake forward of time to share, prep by the meeting stage, leaving the cheese off to the aspect. Pack in a freezer-safe dish and ship with cooking directions! I additionally often wish to take a recent salad if I do know they could eat this for dinner that night time. Anything that’s simple to prepare dinner and/or assemble!
Zucchini Farro Bake
A hearty make-ahead meal for your self or to ship to a brand new household. Made with whole-grain farro, ricotta, and seasonal produce.
- 1 cup raw farro
- 1 half cups complete milk ricotta
- 1 giant egg
- half teaspoon oregano
- 1/four teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup sliced zucchini and yellow squash
- half diced purple pepper
- 1/four medium diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons minced recent basil, plus additional for topping
- 2 cups do-it-yourself roasted tomato sauce
- 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces shredded fontina cheese
- Parmesan (vegetarian-friendly), for topping
- Place a medium pot over medium-low warmth. Add the dry farro and toast for a pair minutes, shaking the pan often. The farro ought to have a toasted, nutty scent. Cover with three cups of water, deliver to a boil, cut back to a simmer, cowl, and prepare dinner for 35 to 45 minutes, till tender (time will rely upon whether or not you’re utilizing pearled versus complete).
- When the farro is sort of achieved cooking, warmth the oven to 375˚F. Whip the ricotta with the egg, oregano, and salt. Place the cooked farro in a 8×8 pan together with the greens, basil, and ricotta. Stir till every part is effectively mixed. Cover with the pasta sauce and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese, and return to the oven for 15 minutes; till cheese has melted and flippantly browned.
- Serve with a sprinkle of freshly grated parmesan cheese and further basil.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: Make forward of time: assemble by the sauce, leaving the cheese off. Refrigerate as much as 24 hours or freeze for a few months. To prepare dinner from a frozen state, bake for an additional 20 to 30 minutes earlier than including the cheese.
This bake is versatile- actually the one fixed is the ricotta base that holds every part collectively. Swap out the produce, grains, and even the sauce.
Vegetables: You could make this dish year-round. During the autumn/winter, attempt pre-roasted candy potatoes and winter squash. Fresh greens additionally work effectively on this dish. Try including shredded kale or chard in with the cooked grains.
Sauce: I like utilizing the do-it-yourself roasted tomato sauce on just about every part through the summer season. During tomato’s off season, make your personal tomato sauce from canned tomatoes or choose up your favourite store-brand pasta sauce.
Grains: You can actually use any grain that holds texture. If you have to make this gluten-free, attempt utilizing sorghum or oat berries. Einkorn, wheat berries, or spelt berries additionally work effectively instead of the farro.
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Bob’s Red Mill. All ideas and opinions are my very own. It’s content material like this that helps me maintain this website operating to offer the vegetarian recipes you see each week.