Post sponsored by The American Pecan Council. See under for extra particulars.
Over the years, beets have develop into my go-to merchandise to take to picnics and potlucks. I understand which may sound stunning however my purpose is to make one thing with beets that everybody loves (even individuals who don’t get enthusiastic about beets). My first expertise with this got here with a CSA potluck and this beet cake (which I then become cupcakes). From there, I’ve made salads, dips, and mains with beets. Some are misses however for essentially the most half, I’ve managed to unfold the great phrase about beets.
This beet dip is nothing in need of wonderful. Beyond the attractive shade, the mixture of beets and sage pureed with the nice and cozy, barely candy style of pecans creates the right fall dip. Try this dip with crackers, toasted bread, and even some fellow greens like carrots and endives. I at all times have a stash of pecan halves in my freezer (helps maintain them recent) that I pull out and soak- no thawing wanted! Pecans maintain within the freezer for as much as two years and might be thawed/frozen just a few occasions with out shedding taste. You may put them in an hermetic container within the fridge and so they’ll maintain for about 9 months. Plus, with assist from the pecans, this dip is loaded with good fat and protein (which is nice as a result of I ate about half this dip for lunch- it’s that good!)
Pecan Roasted Beet Dip with Sage
An attractive and flavorful purple beet dip that’s pureed with sage and pecans for a heat, fall taste. Vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 pound purple beets
- 1 giant shallot, divided
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- half cup uncooked pecans
- half cup water
- 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- three sage leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- three tablespoons sliced shallot
- three sage leaves
- 1/four cup uncooked pecan items
- Preheat oven to 400˚ F. Trim the ends from the beets and peel (see notice). Cut into roughly 1” items and place in a roasting pan. Peel the shallot and minimize into giant items, reserving a small portion for the topping. Place within the roasting pan together with the clove of garlic. Toss with 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast till the beets are tender, stirring often, 35 to 45 minutes. Remove and let cool barely.
- While the beets are roasting, cowl the pecans with water and let soak.
- When the beets are barely cool, place the pecans and ½ cups of water in a blender (see notice). Puree till the pecans start to interrupt down. Add within the beets, balsamic vinegar, and sage. Puree, including extra water if wanted, till the dip is clean and there are not any items of beets and pecans left. Add a pinch of salt, style, and add extra as wanted.
- Heat a small skillet over medium-low warmth. Add the shallots and saute for a pair minutes, simply till aromatic. Move the shallots to 1 facet and add the sage leaves to the pan. Continue to cook dinner the shallot and fry the sage leaves. Remove the sage leaves as soon as fried and take away the pan from the warmth. Add within the pecan items and swirl to flippantly toast the pecans within the scorching oil.
- Transfer the dip to a bowl and spoon the pecans/shallots/oil combination excessive. Crush the fried sage and serve together with your favourite crackers, toasted bread, or greens.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: I selected to not peel the beets for this recipe as a result of after roasting and pureeing in a blender, you possibly can’t inform. However, if be at liberty to peel the beets as you want.
As for the blender, I discovered this dip works nicely within the high-speed blender nevertheless, an everyday blender or meals processor will work. Just be sure that the beets are mushy.
Nutrition: see the information.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 177 Calories from fats|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 13.7||21%|
|Saturated Fat 1.5||eight%|
|Dietary Fiber four.three||17%|
Percent Daily Values are based mostly on a 2,000 calorie eating regimen. Your day by day values could also be larger or decrease relying in your calorie wants:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This is a type of recipes that I urge you to attempt as-is. This beet dip was a recipe that I knew could be scrumptious however one chunk and I fell in love. Plus, it’s laborious to go up so a wonderful, vibrant shade!
Herbs: I actually love this dip with the sage however you might additionally use dill and/or chives. Try taking part in round with the totally different herb flavors and see which mixture you want greatest!
Vegetables: If beets aren’t your factor, this dip would even be wonderful with carrots. The sweetness from the roasted carrots could be a beautiful companion for the pecans.
Uses: I had leftovers of this dip and likewise used it on toast, grilled cheese sandwiches, and as a small unfold for a cheese board!
I’ve loved this partnership with the American Pecan Council as a result of I’ve discovered a lot about this cooking powerhouse. Pecans are the one tree nut that’s unique to America and grown extensively all through the South. In reality, American farmers produce 80% of the world’s provide of pecans.
October is the beginning of harvest for pecans (and in case you’ve by no means seen a harvest, it’s so attention-grabbing: the nuts are shaken off the tree!) I additionally love that pecan bushes are the one main nut tree that’s indigenous to the United States. They actually are majestic bushes that may produce nuts for over 100 years!
As talked about above, I maintain a stash of pecans within the freezer in order that I can at all times add them to salads, grain bowls, and making nut-creams. I really like utilizing the pecan cream in soups and sauces- like this beet dip, the pecans add a layer of taste not offered by most different gadgets! A couple of of my favourite pecan recipes:
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with The American Pecan Council. All ideas and opinions are my very own. It’s content material like this that helps me maintain this website working to supply the vegetarian recipes you see each week.