Post sponsored by nuts.com. See under for extra particulars.
In wrapping up my three-series publish highlighting black lentils with nuts.com, I wished to share one among my favourite recipes. It’s pretty apparent that I really like making enchiladas however I simply discover one thing magical in a scrumptious filling nestled in a recent corn tortilla and topped with flavorful sauce.
The combos are infinite however over time, utilizing black lentils has turn out to be a go-to. While it’s not conventional, I don’t all the time have cooked black beans available and my yearning for enchiladas normally strikes an hour earlier than dinner. Using black lentils makes a bit faster work of the filling for the reason that lentils prepare dinner alongside facet the filling. Best of all, you may make/assemble these enchiladas forward of time and freeze till able to bake.
Black Lentil Enchiladas with Zucchini
Flavorful summer season enchiladas made with zucchini and black lentils together with a straightforward year-round selfmade enchilada sauce.
- half cup raw black lentils
- 1 cup water
- half teaspoon floor cumin (see observe)
- 1/four teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- half small white onion, diced
- 1 small purple pepper, diced
- 1/four teaspoon sea salt
- 1 small zucchini (about 1 half cups diced)
- eight to 10 small corn tortillas
- four ounces Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1, 15 ouncescan complete tomatoes, drained
- 1/four small white onion
- 1 clove garlic
- half chipotle in adobo sauce (see observe)
- half teaspoon cumin
- half teaspoon coriander
- 1/four teaspoon oregano
- 1/four teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/four teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons recent cilantro
- Rinse the black lentils and place in a medium pot. Add the water adopted by the cumin and salt. Bring to a boil, scale back to a simmer, cowl, and prepare dinner till lentils are tender and water is absorbed, 25 minutes or so.
- While the lentils are cooking, warmth a big skillet over medium warmth. Add the oil adopted by the diced onion, pepper, and salt. Saute for four to five minutes, then add the zucchini. Cook, stirring sometimes, till the zucchini is tender and browning. Stir within the cooked black lentils, style, and regulate salt if wanted.
- While the filling elements are cooking, mix the elements for the sauce in a blender. Puree till clean.
- Preheat oven to 375˚F. In a 9”x13” roasting pan or eight”x8” roasting pan, pour ⅓ of the sauce into the underside. Assemble the enchiladas by spreading a spoonful of black lentil combination within the heart of the tortilla. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of cheese. Roll and place seam-side down. Continue with remaining black bean combination and tortillas.
Pour the remaining sauce on high and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or till the sauce is effervescent and the cheese has melted and browned.
by Erin Alderson
Tips & Tricks: I desire to make use of toasted, complete spices that I grind proper earlier than utilizing. If you go this route, use the identical quantity of complete spices earlier than grinding.
As for the chipotle- the sauce has a little bit of a kick. Start with only a bit, style, and regulate to your liking. You also can use chipotle powder instead of the chipotle in adobo. Start with 1/four teaspoon and work your means up.
Nutrition: see the information.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 359 Calories from fats|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 14.1||22%|
|Saturated Fat 6.2||31%|
|Dietary Fiber 7.four||30%|
Percent Daily Values are primarily based on a 2,000 calorie weight loss plan. Your every day values could also be increased or decrease relying in your calorie wants:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Black Lentil Enchiladas
As I discussed above, these enchiladas are tremendous versatile. Add extra greens, miss the cheese, or change the sauce- it’s as much as you to make use of what you would possibly have already got available.
Sauce: I normally alternate between three sauces: this chipotle model, a non-chipotle recent tomato primarily based model, and this tomatillo sauce. Any of those sauces work properly with these black lentil enchiladas- use what you have got available!
Vegetables: During the summer season months, I normally add candy corn to the combo. During the cooler months, these enchiladas work properly with roasted candy potato and/or butternut squash.
Vegan: Leave off the cheese, bake, after which high with recent avocado to present the enchiladas a little bit of pop.
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with nuts.com. All ideas and opinions are my very own. It’s content material like this that helps me hold this web site operating to offer the vegetarian recipes you see each week. |